Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Aix Les Bains etc


Life was good this weekend. It was the most amazing Indian summer. On Saturday we went to Aix les Bains, a charming town by the largest lake in France, where we found a market, ate by the lake, and walked all over town. Sunday we went to Vieux Lyon to walk around and enjoy the weather while it lasted. Since I haven't yet uploaded the photos from that adventure, accept this one of Puy en Velay, where we went last weekend to see an old cathedral, a huge Mary statue on a hill (photo) and a cool monastery way up on a strange pointy mountain.
Now it is raining, and I feel like I am behind in lesson planning as usual. I have a lot of respect for teachers, I can't believe how hard it is to keep all the classes straight and try to remember everyone's individual questions and schedule conflicts etc! I like to think I am starting to get the hang of it, but I have a feeling this whole semester is going to be a little hairy. I am constantly just barely staying ahead of the game, and still getting used to my materials and finding good resources and struggling with the many technologies of the language lab and teaching myself the ins and outs of English grammar at least well enough to come up with answers to the many questions that inevitably come up in class. I can't believe how complicated English grammar seems, full of exceptions and nuances as every language is, I suppose. I am currently making up my very first test! Oh, the power...

No comments: