Friday, February 13, 2009

Feeding Frenzy

So, I used to (by which I mean I still do, but realize this colors me as somewhat hypocritical in light of what I am about to write) call my mother Suzy Whole Earth, teasing her about her passion for all things free range, whole grain, and organic. But, as it turns out, the pesticide-free apple doesn't fall far from the tree. And so, I am writing this post to confess that
I am turning into kind of a serious food hippie.

This started slowly but surely, with me loving Trader Joe's and trying to buy organic stuff when it wasn't too expensive. Then I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (highly recommended!), and was inspired to try to buy produce that was both organic and as locally grown as possible. When I came to France, I was happy to find that the local part was very easy. There are farmer's markets in my neighborhood a few times a week, and organic markets in some part of Lyon twice a week. I promised myself to buy only things that were grown in France, leaving me with a pretty huge selection, as well as being able to feel good about myself. Then my hippie frenzy encouraged me to coerce my roomies into buying a bread machine. (We did, it is glorious, I can never go back.) Kingsolver also inspired me to try to steer clear of processed and preprepared food whenever possible, and I am fortunate enough to have roommates who all enjoy cooking, at least occasionally. In my house, we each cook once a week (I'm Sunday) and eat family style about six nights out of seven. The next step in my food fanaticism was the trek out to the Croix-Rousse neighborhood on Saturday mornings to buy from the biggest organic market. (I still haven't managed to coerce my roomies to get up for this though...) Then of course there was the trip to the organic goat farm with the roomies back in October, which deepened my love of all things organic and made me want to make my own cheese. Hey, we all need dreams.

And then, Tuesday night, I went with a friend to a Slow Food Lyon meeting. I had heard of Slow Food, and thought it sounded like a really neat organization, so when Camille asked me to go, I jumped at the chance. (For info on the organization, check out www.slowfood.com) She had joined in September, and said all the people were really nice, and it was a small, multi-generational group. I went along, to a small, high end organic grocery store run by one of the members. The Lyon chapter is very small, which surprised me: there were only 7 of us, so it was very intimate, and they seemed happy to have me. We tasted some organic wines, nibbled on cheese and some spicy tuna spread, and talked about the importance of regional food culture. As an American, this idea is somewhat lacking in my personal heritage. We, with a very few exceptions, don't have local food products and loyalty the way Europeans (and especially the Italians and French) do. To my eyes, the French are already much more appreciative of good food, willing to pay a little more for good quality ingredients, and willing to spend a little more time seeking out and cooking with them. But to real foodies, the whole world, and France in no way excluded, is undergoing a massive cultural food crisis, at the hands of fast food, cheap international produce, and decreasing free time devoted to the culinary arts. So it was very interesting to sit in on a meeting where the members were discussing how to combat these forces.

I found the whole thing fascinating, even though it was a somewhat administrative meeting, as they are in the midst of organizing a big food festival for March. I promised Camille I would help her with her table, where we will be doing a taste testing of the differences between popular mass produced snacks and foods like cookies and pizza and their homemade counterparts. To this end, I have requested many chocolate chips from Jacquie, who is headed stateside for the break. After the dégustation, we will discuss the practical, financial and health-related differences. I am excited to be a part of the atelier, and perhaps eventually, an active member of Slow Food Lyon in my own right. Wish me luck, and bon appétit!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Charlotte,
I'll just remind you this once of how you requested Kraft mac'n cheez and Twinkies for your high sch graduation celebration...
Tonight NPR (THE WORLD?)had a piece on the vanishing of the locally grown cornichon in Burgundy: dommage!
I love discussing and practicing cooking with you; whisk on!
Suzy Whole Earth